Happy Birthday to the All-In-One Account

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Neil
Site Admin

Happy Birthday to the All-In-One Account

Post by Neil »

The All-In-One account has now been available for over two years.

It's seen a number of changes since it was first launched in November 2004, mainly in response to your requests for new features.

Thanks to all who have contributed to its development and the up-keep of the site, as well as my mirror providers and my hosting company.

Cheers,

Neil.
clarkf1
Established Member

Post by clarkf1 »

Cheers to you Neil..........

Here's to another 2
Cruncher: i7-8700K (6 cores, 12 threads), 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz, 8GB NVIDIA 1080
KSMarksPsych

Post by KSMarksPsych »

Congrats Neil.

I enjoy your site. Thanks for all the hard work you do for us.
Kathryn :)
The BOINC FAQ Service
The Unofficial BOINC Wiki
The Trac System
More BOINC information than you can shake a stick of RAM at.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I'd say its longevity is a tribute to the usefulness of it imparted by its creator. Good on you, Neil!
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi guys,

Thanks for your kind comments - I hope the site will remain as popular and useful for as long as BOINC is running.

For those who are interested in a bit of history, my first BOINC stats graphic site was http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2, which was launched in July 2004. At the time, it was the only (and therefore the first) publicly available free BOINC stats graphic service

Other "mini sites" for CPDN etc. were also created in the following months of 2004. The sites are still up, but have not been accepting any new users since March 2005 when the All-In-One account became stable.

The All-In-One account has certainly made my life a lot easier in terms of developing new features and supporting users. It has also allowed the BOINC widgets possible.

The widgets first started out as an experiment, but have proved quite popular. I have also enjoyed working with you to add features to the widgets under the GPL. ClarkF1 and Alan Barker in particular, contributed code to the Yahoo! Widgets.

The future...

For those who are interested in what the future holds for the All-In-One account, I have been busy working on a new version of the site. This new version is nearing completion and is based around static stats graphics instead of dynamic images. Do not fear, your images will still display your up-to-date stats, but how the images are generated will be different.

At present, your images are generated "on the fly" each time a request for your stats is received by my site. Most of this work is done by the kind help of my mirror providers. By creating static images (daily), I hope to reduce the processing over head on my web server and provide a more reliable service, as I won't have to rely on third party web servers.

In addition, user's stats graphics' URLs will be to actual graphics and not a PHP script. This means that users' web browsers will be able to cache the images and therefore improve users' browsing experience of sites that link to mine, e.g. the Seti forums.

Please note: the move to the new version of the site will only occur if testing of the new approach proves be successful. If it does not, the current system will remain in place. I have devised a way to run both versions of the site at the same time, using the same database, to test the new version. I will probably ask for BETA testers to help out in a closed BETA test.

Please watch this space. If you have any comments or questions, please reply to this post.

Thanks again for your support,

Neil.
clarkf1
Established Member

Post by clarkf1 »

Add me to your list of people willing to BETA test the new site......

Sounds cool.....
Cruncher: i7-8700K (6 cores, 12 threads), 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz, 8GB NVIDIA 1080
KSMarksPsych

Post by KSMarksPsych »

I'll beta test for you Neil.

Sounds like a great approach.

:D
Kathryn :)
The BOINC FAQ Service
The Unofficial BOINC Wiki
The Trac System
More BOINC information than you can shake a stick of RAM at.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi guys,

You will be contacted when the BETA site is open.

Cheers,

Neil.
Gamma^Ray

Post by Gamma^Ray »

Sorry im a bit late, But congrats on the two years mileston ! :D
You can add me as a Beta Tester, If another one is needed once started.

Regards,
G^R
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi G^R,

You have been added to the list.

Cheers,

Neil.