Getting "Ghost" Emails From Defunct Project

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Ex_Brit

Getting "Ghost" Emails From Defunct Project

Post by Ex_Brit »

The most bizarre thing, got an email a few days ago stating that I had been picked as "User Of The Day" for a project that no longer exists and whose website has long since disappeared; climate@home.
I used to belong to that project but I believe it was closed when funds dried up at NASA.
I'm only commenting on this now because for the last few days I've been trying unsuccessfully to investigate exactly what happened to climate@home. All I know is one day it was there and the next it had gone.
The email in question must originate on some server somewhere that wasn't turned off, that's all I can assume. I bounced it back to sender in the hope it reaches someone who will remedy these "ghost" emails.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Neil
Site Admin

Re: Getting "Ghost" Emails From Defunct Project

Post by Neil »

Note: moved from General forum to the BOINC forum.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Ex_Brit wrote:The most bizarre thing, got an email a few days ago stating that I had been picked as "User Of The Day" for a project that no longer exists and whose website has long since disappeared; climate@home.
I used to belong to that project but I believe it was closed when funds dried up at NASA.
I'm only commenting on this now because for the last few days I've been trying unsuccessfully to investigate exactly what happened to climate@home. All I know is one day it was there and the next it had gone.
The email in question must originate on some server somewhere that wasn't turned off, that's all I can assume. I bounced it back to sender in the hope it reaches someone who will remedy these "ghost" emails.
Yeah, sounds like an old e-mail queued up somewhere, or it's a spoof e-mail.
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

It was genuine, if not 'lost in space', because I checked the headers and it originated on the Project Leader's email account.
BTW this is the 3rd time it's happened.
Timbre

Post by Timbre »

I get these too every now and again for some reason.
Read this honest review of Airsnore and you'll love it.
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

Glad I'm not alone.
JamesFrith

Post by JamesFrith »

Timbre wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:53 am I get these too every now and again for some reason.
I also used to belong to climate@home project, but haven't received such email yet. Hope to be "User of the Day" someday. :)
DonovanHogans

Post by DonovanHogans »

JamesFrith wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:41 pm
Timbre wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:53 am I get these too every now and again for some reason.
I also used to belong to climate@home project, but haven't received such email yet. Hope to be "User of the Day" someday. :)
It's strange that the server is still alive and sending these emails. BTW, I also belonged to the project at one time.
Danior

Post by Danior »

Hi I also used to belong to climate@home project, but haven't received such email yet.
Hope to be "User of the Day" someday. :) :D
CarolynHall

Post by CarolynHall »

Timbres wrote: Fri Jul 04, 2436 6:26 pm I get these too every now and again for some reason.
It was genuine, if not 'lost in space', because I checked the headers and it originated on the Project Leader's email account.
BTW this is the 3rd time it's happened.