Konfabulator widget released - version 0.91

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Neil
Site Admin

Konfabulator widget released - version 0.91

Post by Neil »

Hi all,

Following on from a previous thread about display user's BOINC stats on your desktop, I have been working on both a Konfabulator applet for Windows/MAC OS and a SuperKaramba applet (theme) for KDE.

Both allow you to create interactive widgets on your desktop. I have started work one for each application that displays your BOINC stats from MundayWeb.com.

Do you have any comments or suggestions?

I will post screen shots over the weekend.

Neil.
Last edited by Neil on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:31 am, edited 26 times in total.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Just curious... would this only before a BOINC client running on the same computer or for your stats across all projects and computers?

Might be a non-issue since I only run BOINC on one machine, but seems to me I could just check the BOINC GUI or a bookmark of my signature graphic if I was that compulsive to check.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

The applets work independent of the BOINC client as they get their stats from my site instead. So you can get your stats on any computer you like, so long as it has a working Internet connection.

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Screen shots and further information can now be found at http://boinc.mundayweb.com/desktop.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please let me know.

Neil.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Looks very pretty. (And I DO mean the counter!) Still, I'm likely to simply load my signature graphic if I really need to see how I'm doing, especially if the stats come from the same source (your site) updated as often as it is.
Nightbird

Post by Nightbird »

Yes pretty nice and pretty interesting !
So you can get your stats on any computer you like, so long as it has a working Internet connection.
Do you need a permanent connection to the Net ? i don't think but i ask.
No problem also if the machines are under ICS or behind a proxy ?
Image Image
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Nightbird wrote:Do you need a permanent connection to the Net ? i don't think but i ask. No problem also if the machines are under ICS or behind a proxy ?
The Internet connection does not need to be permanent, as the widgets get their data when they start-up.

They will of course need to "phone home" now and again to get the latest stats, but seeing as the stats are only updated once a day, the widgets will not need to update that often.

ICS is not a problem - for example, my Linux machine connects via my Windows machine using ICS.

I wouldn't have thought proxies would be a problem either.

Neil.
maquejp

Re: BOINC Stats for your desktop - Preview Images Available

Post by maquejp »

Neil wrote:Hi all,

Following on from a previous thread about display user's BOINC stats on your desktop, I have been working on both a Konfabulator applet for Windows/MAC OS and a SuperKaramba applet (theme) for KDE.

Both allow you to create interactive widgets on your desktop. I have started work one for each application that displays your BOINC stats from MundayWeb.com.

Do you have any comments or suggestions?

I will post screen shots over the weekend.

Neil.
1 question : When this will be available? :) :)
dan_burr_michel

Post by dan_burr_michel »

i love the idea of this creation...i can't wait to try it.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

maquejp wrote:1 question : When this will be available? :) :)
I plan to release a Beta version of the Konfabulator applet at (or before) the weekend.

The SuperKaramba applet will be released at a later date (probably next month) as I have some work to do on it before I am prepared to release it to the world. It also has a more primitive API when compared to Konfabulator and it also uses Python which is a new language to me!

Neil.
maquejp

Post by maquejp »

Neil wrote:
maquejp wrote:1 question : When this will be available? :) :)
I plan to release a Beta version of the Konfabulator applet at (or before) the weekend.

The SuperKaramba applet will be released at a later date (probably next month) as I have some work to do on it before I am prepared to release it to the world. It also has a more primitive API when compared to Konfabulator and it also uses Python which is a new language to me!

Neil.
Thanks for the update!
Ageless

Post by Ageless »

I see your temperature rose over watching too much Holly Vallance, Neil. 10C on the Windows box and 13C on the KDE... 8)
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Ageless wrote:I see your temperature rose over watching too much Holly Vallance, Neil. 10C on the Windows box and 13C on the KDE... 8)
They are weather temperatures ;-)
Neil Munday.

Ageless

Post by Ageless »

That's what you say. I have a hard time believing that. :lol:

Got anything more to test for me these days? I've done a lot of forum testing on Rob's forum test site, but am now a bit through my options.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Ageless wrote:Got anything more to test for me these days?
Well, there will be the desktop widgets when they are released.

At present, the latest development on the website was the team stats, but these appear to be working fine.

I will keep you posted and thanks for the offer of your testing services ;-)

Neil.