The DistributedDataMining project is shutting down!

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Dr Who Fan

Post by Dr Who Fan »

From the DDM HOME Page (no other of the projects pages are accessible any more):

Dear ddm users,
we had a good run during the last years and the computing power which you provided enabled many researchers to achieve there scientific goals.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to invest as much time as I wanted into maintaining the ddm project and although the BOINC client was working fine most of the time, the page had more and more problems which were not addressed properly. I was thinking about shuting down the project many times but there was never the right moment.

Recently, this changed when a critical vulnerability of the Drupal content management system was publicly announced. Since the ddm website was running an old version of Drupal, no fix is available for this issue. As a consequence, I took the website down. There are no indications that the vulnerability was exploited. The actual BOINC server is running on a different machine and would not have been effected anyway.

I had the choice between (1) updating to the latest Drupal version including the time consuming re-integration of all the BOINC features and (2) shutting down the project for good. I decided that this is the right moment to let it come to an end. I simply do not have the time to operate the project in the way that you would deserve.

From now on, no new workunits will be generated. The remaining units will be distributed to the BOINC clients and the incomming results will be processed as usuall. The BOINC statistics which are frequently crawled by multiple websites will stay online for a while, so that your credits won't be lost.

Thank you for your understanding and all your support during the last years.

Best regards,
Nico
Neil
Site Admin

Re: The DistributedDataMining project is shutting down!

Post by Neil »

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Neil.