New projects

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
idahofisherman

Re: New projects

Post by idahofisherman »

Neil

I am trying 119 which is the number in my account. I am not sure I agree with ChertseyAl because I have added other projects without running any WU to good completion. Check my user gadget there are several there with no credit.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Found the problem... I had entered the wrong URL for the user profiles of the project in my database. This has now been fixed and you should now be able to add the project.

Cheers,

Neil.
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

Neil wrote:Found the problem... I had entered the wrong URL for the user profiles of the project in my database. This has now been fixed and you should now be able to add the project.
Which is a bit odd as I was able to add myself a while ago.

Also, I don't see idahofisherman, user id 199 or either of his hosts in the the user or host files from the project.

@idaho - I've never been able to add myself to a project where I have zero credit. But then again I always use my username rather than id. But both are stored in the user stats file, so it's all a bit of a mystery to me :)

Cheers,

Al.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Al,

When adding a project on my site, the code first looks in the database which holds the stats from the latest XML stats dump from the chosen project. If the user ID cannot be found, then I use the HTML stats to parse the account information from the project's web site.

E.g. http://boinc.biruni.upm.my/putra/show_u ... userid=119

Cheers,

Neil.
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

Neil wrote:If the user ID cannot be found, then I use the HTML stats to parse the account information from the project's web site.
Ah, neat :)

I only use my name to add projects, so I've never seen that happen before. I'll try using my user id for the next new project that exports stats (hopefully solar@home).

Cheers,

Al.
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

New project:

SubsetSum@Home

http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/subset_sum/

"The Subset Sum problem is described as follows: given a set of positive integers S and a target sum t, is there a subset of S whose sum is t? It is one of the well-know, so-called “hard” problems in computing. It's actually a very simple problem, and the computer program to solve it is not extremely complicated. What's hard about it is the running time – all known exact algorithms have running time that is proportional to an exponential function of the number of elements in the set (for worst-case instances of the problem) ..."

Not much work at the moment, but it seems to be working and work is being validated and credited :)

Stats are in the usual place, at least one other stats site is already using them.

Cheers,

Al.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Al,

Thanks for the heads up, support for the project has now been added.

Cheers,

Neil.
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

New project:

http://boinc.riojascience.com/

Rioja Science

I hesitate to mention this one as there's very little info on the home page, no message boards, and a limit of 2 WUs per host/core (can't tell easily which) and the WUs only take a few minutes to run. The application is "Triatomic quasiclassical trajectory calculation" which sounds a bit like the stuff they do at Leiden Classical.

However, there is plenty of work available, and stats are available in the usual place as of today. I guess Bok must have given the admin a poke with a sharp stick :)

Cheers,

Al.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Al,

Support for the project has now been added.

Cheers,

Neil.
philip-in-hongkong

Post by philip-in-hongkong »

Hi Neil

Any chance to add EDGI Demo Project?

http://mishra.lpds.sztaki.hu/edgidemo/

Its statistic is now exported to the normal place.

As noted from the address, it is from the same team running the SZTAKI Desktop Grid. Till now, the their web site still displays the default "XXX is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in XXX.". The work units are short and intermittently.

Cheers,
Philip
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the info - the project has now been added.

Cheers,

Neil.
Saenger

Post by Saenger »

Here are the stats of Asteroids@home
Only Linux app yet, and only a few WUs
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Saenger,

Thanks for the info, the project has now been added.

Cheers,

Neil.
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

FightMalaria@Home

http://boinc.ucd.ie/fmah/

FightMalaria@Home is a research project that uses donated CPU time to perform docking simulations on malaria proteins. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.

PLEASE NOTE: FightMalaria@Home is still in testing. Although you may join the project, there may not be a constant supply of tasks until the launch day (23rd July). The server may also be unavailable up until this time.

Stats in the usual place.

Not had a lot of luck with this project personally yet, but it is still testing and is worth a look for any brave souls after something new to try :)

Cheers,

Al.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Al,

Thanks for the info.

The project has now been added.

Cheers,

Neil.