Any interest in a Vista stats gadget

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
DerekK19

Any interest in a Vista stats gadget

Post by DerekK19 »

I've got the Yahoo! widget and that's good, but I have Vista on my other PC. Would anyone be interested in a Vista gadget that did the same as the Yahoo widget? I can't promise to develop one very quickly, but the task is small enough I would be able to do it if anyone was interested.

Derek
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Derek,

I don't have access to a Vista machine, so have not had the opportunity to make one for Vista.

If you would like to know how my widgets get their stats from boinc.mundayweb.com, let me know.

Cheers,

Neil.
DerekK19

Post by DerekK19 »

I was able to figure out the web service call from your widget. I've now written a Vista gadget that displays the same data. It could use a bit of tidying up and I'll do that if there is interest from anyone else. One thing: what does "rac" stand for? I can see it's an average, but it's not clear just what it's an average of. It's probably in an FAQ somewhere if I coud spare the time to look.
Marky-UK

Post by Marky-UK »

DerekK19 wrote:One thing: what does "rac" stand for? I can see it's an average, but it's not clear just what it's an average of. It's probably in an FAQ somewhere if I coud spare the time to look.
Recent Average Credit. It's a running weighted average, see BOINC Wiki for detailed info and the calculation method.
clarkf1
Established Member

Post by clarkf1 »

Recent Average Credit

There's an explanation from Berkeley here
Cruncher: i7-8700K (6 cores, 12 threads), 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz, 8GB NVIDIA 1080
hobbit25

Post by hobbit25 »

I would be very interested in having one. I have been working with http://www.amnestywidgets.com/GeneratorWin.html to try and convert the raw html from the stat graphics into a working vista sidebar gadget. I have gotten the graphic to convert but it wont update itself. I have very limited knowledge in programming to I am unable to make one. Been looking for a vista gadget for boinc project stats etc for a few weeks now and nothing. Would sure LOVE to have one. :)
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

Doesn't the Yahoo widgets meet your needs? What advantage does the Vista widget system offer?

Cheers,

Neil.

p.s. Welcome to the forums ;-)
hobbit25

Post by hobbit25 »

To be honest I have become very attached to the vista sidebar. I do like all the gadgets for it and have never had a problem with it. I prefer to stick with the vista sidebar and would rather not have to run the sidebar and the yahoo widget manager at the same time if i didn't have to. Was hoping to be able to find a a gadget for the sidebar or at least a way of getting one. Also I never liked the yahoo widget engine, always did find it used up way more ram then it should but thats beside the point.

Now onto advantages...well there is none. Both widget/gadget systems are very similar from the looks of it, I just prefer the sidebar thats all. If worst comes to worst....I will have to load up 2 widget engines at once :(
Steve Waring

Yes there is a cool Vista Sidebar Boinc Stats

Post by Steve Waring »

I have submitted it to the Gadgets Gallery, but Microsoft acceptance times are quite long at the moment. In the mean time you can download it from http://www.stephenwaring.me.uk/Gadgets/ ... istory.htm It's really cool, it cycles through your stats, with cool transitions. Everything is customisable, on the fly, the fonts, colours, everthing.

There is a video of it here: http://www.stephenwaring.me.uk/Gadgets/ ... Gadget.wmv Ignore the bit that says it is in beta test. It is production now. Also the gadget has a colour picker, so you don't have to enter colours in #rrggbb format.

This version is for English Locales only, due to the way it presents the list of available fonts for you to pick from. The next version will work what ever your language.
Steve Waring
Steve Waring

oh and if you are interested...

Post by Steve Waring »

It works in a very different way to the Yahoo gadget. It uses an interface that pulls down just your stats. It does this repeatedly, minimum refresh time is one hour -- if you are offline it tries later.

Having got your stats, it displays them for one project at a time, and cycles through them all, at a rate you specify -- the default is 20 seconds. It also includes an All Project display. By default, it fade wipes from one set of stats to the next, but you can change that -- like I said, everything is customisable.

Don't ask about team stats, currently there is not an interface to pull down the stats for just one team. When there is, assuming someone tells me, I will make a team version -- it will be very simple.

Everything is customisable, different fonts for the title, sub headings, and stats.

Go on, take a look at the video. :D

The site my gadget is on is very new, and will only work in IE. There will be a Firefox version eventually. But if you are interested in a gadget, you will have IE.
Steve Waring
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Steve,

Nice work.

Where do you get the stats from? Are you using my XML feed?

Cheers,

Neil.
Steve Waring

stats

Post by Steve Waring »

I get the stats from:
http://boinc.netsoft-online.com/get_user.php?cpid=
Unfortunately, there is no facility for downloading a team's stats, just the whole global team information. If and when an individual team's stats are provided, I'll down load the user's team(s) stats as well, as the gadget already knows which team(s) they are in. I will then let the setting offer the following options.
  • Just User Stats
  • Just Team Stats
  • User Stats then Team Stats
  • User Stats interleaved with Team Stats
Never download a user's stats from this site more frequently than once an hour. Although my gadget cycles the dislay at any frequency you like, the minimum down load time is 60 minutes or 1 hour, depending upon the units the user has chosen for the time.
Steve Waring
pe6o4

Re: Any interest in a Vista stats gadget

Post by pe6o4 »

I was just wondering where to get that windows sidebar gadget?
The links provided are down, well.. the thread is a few years old :)

Anyone has a working gadget for windows side bar, or knows where to get it?

Thank you,
Greetz from Austria,
p.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Just had a look at how to write a Vista/7 gadget and it doesn't look too hard. I'll see if I can knock something up.

Cheers,

Neil.
pe6o4

Post by pe6o4 »

That would be great! Thanks man.

Greetz, p.