New projects

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Neil
Site Admin

Re: New projects

Post by Neil »

Hi Al,

Support for the project has now been added.

Cheers,

Neil.
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

I see that LHC@Home which, whilst it has remained dormant, sprouted a separate Test4Theory, which is still producing WU's, has now morphed into "SIXTRACK" which, when linked to BOINC, shows as LHC@Home 1.0. (Despite the links from T4T to a mention of LHC@Home 2.0).

As yet the website and message boards are devoid of any information and no WU's have been posted, so things are a'changing at CERN.

Thought people might like to know and hope someone out there isn't as confused by all these goings on as I am right now.

Edit: To my surprise LHC@Home 1.0 just downloaded a work unit, so it is active and it shows my totals from the original LHC@Home as part of my total.
This is getting very confusing.

Neil do you now list LHC@Home 1.0 or SIXTRACK?

Peter
Toronto, Canada
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

Ex_Brit wrote: Thought people might like to know and hope someone out there isn't as confused by all these goings on as I am right now.

Neil do you now list LHC@Home 1.0 or SIXTRACK?
Looks to me that the old URL redirects to SIXTRACK, I can log in with my old details and still have my old credit, and I got an email that my team has been created (as founder of the BWT).

I rather think that "Do Nothing" is the best course of action for now, as things are still changing. Looks like Ye Olde LHC is going to be SIXTRACK with volunteer details and credits from the original LHC project.

Al.
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

If you are already linked in Boinc to LHC and then attach to a new project and give the link that is showing on the home page it then attaches to LHC@Home 1.0 and carries your credit forward to that client. Both will then be showing in your Boinc window.

I then just removed the old LHC from it once done.

Neil may still have to redo the link as it is a new one. They may not link old URL's for ever.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

For links to their new forums, which will eventually appear on their home page I guess see the last post here: http://de.boincstats.com/forum/forum_thread.php?id=6435
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

..and they just changed their URL to http://lhcathomeclassic.cern.ch/sixtrack/
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi guys,

I'm a bit wary of accidentally writing over the old LHC stats.

If someone can confirm that the Sixtrack stats are really the old LHC stats, then I'll update the site accordingly.

Cheers,

Neil.
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

Neil wrote:Hi guys,

I'm a bit wary of accidentally writing over the old LHC stats.

If someone can confirm that the Sixtrack stats are really the old LHC stats, then I'll update the site accordingly.

Cheers,

Neil.
Hi Neil,

I've sent a private message to one of their guys. I may not get a response until after the weekend, but will let you know.

It certainly looks to me that way as the second I set up the new client it adopted the total that was already showing in the old one.

(For a moment I had the old and the new reading identically until I ditched the old one from Boinc).

I also asked him what is happening to the T4T project now.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

The private message route was a dud but a forum post got results.

From Igor Zacharov, Project Administrator, Developer, Tester and Scientist.
LHC@HOME 1.0 will continue with the SixTrack program for the accelerator research.
We have tried to preserve the credit accumulated from all these years as much as possible going forward. This version of the SixTrack program is very close to the
"final" - we are checking the results right now for consistency. At any rate,
the executable change (if it will change) will be transparent.

There are new studies under way, so we will need a lot of computing time.
We prepare to ramp up in September and full swing in October with public events.

The Test4Theory is interesting, because it changes the way executable is
distributed to the machines. It is virtualized and requires installation of
the virtual machine to run. That's why there is the word "test" in the name.

At any rate, it will appear as a different project and will start to accumulate
its own credit when you attach to it.
(I am already attached to both).

The only reason I asked was because the graphic is linked to to the old LHC so not sure if it would continue to update or not.
Last edited by Ex_Brit on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
philip-in-hongkong

Post by philip-in-hongkong »

Hi Neil,

Another new project to add.

YAFU - Yet Another Factoring Utility, in their front page, they said "We are factoring numbers in the range of 70 - 110 digits which needs factoring in the factordb. At the beginning we start with numbers of 89 digits. There are ~ 6700 of them which needs to be factored." The URL is http://yafu.dyndns.org/yafu/

Cheers,
Philip
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

philip-in-hongkong wrote: YAFU - Yet Another Factoring Utility
A word of warning: The project currently has a 10 HOUR deadline for WUs, which makes it a bit 'dominant' of your BOINC resources ;) Expect to see all of the WUs running at high priority if you get any :D

Doesn't suit me, but that's just me :)

Al.

Edit: I gather the the deadline has now been increased, but I don't know what to yet.
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

Neil,

Any update on LHC@Home 1.0 a.k.a. Sixtrack? The original LHC is no more and has been split into 2 now with Test4Theory being its other branch which you already have included as T4T.

They have tacked on our old credits to the new LHC@Home 1.0 client as it's called in the BOINC interface.

Project URL: http://lhcathomeclassic.cern.ch/sixtrack/

Peter
Toronto, Canada
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

The project has now been added as a project in its own right as "SixTrack".

Sorry about the delay.

Cheers,

Neil.
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

Great Neil and thanks.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

Neil wrote: The project has now been added as a project in its own right as "SixTrack".
Thanks. But (there's always a 'but' :) ) now I have LHC showing AND SixTrack. LHC is showing the credit before the change and SixTrack is the correct one with the LHC credit with the newly gained credit added to it.

Quite what to do, I don't know. Remove LHC? I don't know if everyone got automatically migrated to SixTrack. Similar thing must have happened with Ramsey and RamseyTest, when the Test project credit got merged into the main project.

What a mess :(

Al.