"PES Starting..." Stuck loading, what's missing?

Found a bug, need help or have a suggestion for PES then please post here!
DigitalSlimJim

"PES Starting..." Stuck loading, what's missing?

Post by DigitalSlimJim »

I've flashed this 32GB SD card twice with Etcher. I plug in power into the Raspberry Pi 4B. I see Arch Linux boot. It creates the new /data partition. After a few minutes it then tries starting PES. The last line on the screen reads, "PES Starting..."

I can let it sit there for over an hour and nothing happens. I've tried cycling the power and it still gets to that point and just says PES Starting... and never progresses after that.

Any ideas on what I need to do to get this to actually work?? I can flash the SD card and load other OSes and they boot correctly, so the card and Pi are working. I format and flash it again with the "pes-2.7-2019-08-06-rpi2-4.img.gz" image, but still no dice.
Neil
Site Admin

Re: "PES Starting..." Stuck loading, what's missing?

Post by Neil »

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to report the issue. You're the second person to report this issue with the Raspberry Pi 4 and PES.

I'm currently tracking this issue here: https://github.com/neilmunday/pes/issues/41

I've managed to get hold of a friend's Raspberry Pi 4 so I can test PES 2.7 myself - I'm just waiting for a mini-HDMI cable to turn up tomorrow.

In the meantime I will update the PES site to let Raspberry Pi 4 owners know that the PES GUI is not loading on this particular model of Raspberry Pi. You should find that your SD card with PES 2.7 works fine on a Raspberry Pi 2/3.

Apologies for any inconvience,

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

I've now been able to repeat the issue. It would appear that since the Raspberry Pi 4 has been released, the ArchLinux Arm site has now produced a separate Raspberry Pi 4 image rather than using the Raspberry Pi 2 image (as advised originally). I will therefore have to create an image from scratch for the Raspberry Pi 4.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Thought I'd share a status report...

PES GUI: Working (version 2.8 )
Vice Emulator (standalone C64): Working
Kodi: Working
Retroarch: compiled but very poor performance - trying to work out why
Mupen64plus (standalone N64): to be done
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Update:

All emulators working except PPSSPP.

For now I have excluded it from the PES 2.8 RPi4 BETA.

All being well, the BETA should be available this week.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

The PES 2.8 BETA for the Raspberry Pi 4 can be downloaded via the following torrent: http://www.mundayweb.com/pes/pes-2.8-BE ... gz.torrent

Feedback welcome.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Direct download (md5sum: a95a8c848f86c04dfcf958355c9e21ac, 1.3GB) now available also.