joystick settings

Found a bug, need help or have a suggestion for PES then please post here!
luthen

joystick settings

Post by luthen »

Good day.
I tried a lot of Gaming OS for RPi 3b +. But I decided to stay on yours. Liked more than others. Thank you for your hard work.

1)
PES lacks controller configuration.
Standard joystick like this https://pes.mundayweb.com/html/_images/ ... layout.png
There is not enough for all 100% of the games.
For example, the joystick from Sega / Genesis contains 6 action buttons (A-C, X-Z).
But the X-Z buttons cannot be associated with L1-2, R1-2.
Because of this, there are difficulties in games like Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Comix Zone etc.
2)
I did not find the joystick settings in the cases, when several controllers are connected at the same time.

p.s. sry 4 my english. It's google translate.
Neil
Site Admin

Re: joystick settings

Post by Neil »

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

Glad to hear you enjoy using PES - it's always nice to hear feedback from users.

1) I hadn't considered this before - I forgot that 6 button control pads existed for the Mega Drive/Genesis during its life time. I've not tried this yet, but according to other web sites this should do the trick...

Either from the command line on your Raspberry Pi edit ~/pes/conf.d/retroarch/retroarch.cfg or via Windows file sharing: \\pes\config\retroarch\retroarch.cfg and add the following to the file:

Code: Select all

picodrive_input1 = "6 button pad"
picodrive_input2 = "6 button pad"
Now save the file and next time you launch a Mega Drive/Genesis game (as well as 32X and Mega CD) the following button mapping will apply:

X = Left shoulder
Y = X
Z = Right shoulder

If this works for you then I'll add this to the PES documentation and I'll consider adding it to the RetroArch config file provided with PES for the next release.

2) Sorry, I didn't understand the question. The emulators should handle two players ok. Greater than this can cause problems for some due to input lag caused by the extra processing overhead required.

Cheers,

Neil.
luthen

Post by luthen »

Thanks for answers.
I will explain in more detail my second question.

All possible retro console designed for a sense of nostalgia. One of my vivid memories is Quake 2 game. Four players on one kinescope TV.

We used just such a thing. The list of available games for 4 players is also available here.
http://playstationcollectors.co.uk/sony ... 0-multitap

I think that for such cases, the ability to configure controllers is needed. RPI just has 4 usb ports for 4 joysticks.

If you explain which files to edit to configure through the command line - good.
If you add the ability to check, reassigning the buttons for each of the 4 joysticks is even better.

update: Editing the \\pes\config\retroarch\retroarch.cfg file did not help.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

Sorry my suggestion didn't work, I'll try to find some time to test on my Raspberry Pi with 6-button Genesis/Mega Drive games.

On the four player front it very much depends on whether the emulators support it. For example, PicoDrive mentioned earlier, only supports two players. I did raise an issue on the project's GitHub page a few years ago but it remains open sadly.

If you have a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 then you can edit ~/pes/conf.d/pes/consoles.ini and change the Mega Drive and Genesis entries to use the GensisPlusGX emulator instead which does support 4 player by changing the "command" setting to look like so:

%%BASE%%/emulators/RetroArch/bin/retroarch --appendconfig %%USERCONFDIR%%/retroarch/retroarch.cfg -L %%BASE%%/emulators/RetroArch/lib/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so %%GAME%%
Note: when I tried this with four players the Raspberry Pi it struggled to keep up with all the input.

Which consoles are you wanting to play four players on?

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

Although I couldn't get Picodrive to work with a six button controller, I was able to get GenesPlusGX to work.

Here's how..

1. Create a file called /home/pi/pes/conf.d/retroarch/retroarch-genesisplusgx.cfg with the following contents:

# enable 6 button control pad layout
input_libretro_device_p1 = "513"
input_libretro_device_p2 = "513"
2. Now update /home/pi/pes/conf.d/pes/consoles.ini and change the command parameter for the Mega Drive and Genesis emulators to:

command:	%%BASE%%/emulators/RetroArch/bin/retroarch --appendconfig "%%USERCONFDIR%%/retroarch/retroarch.cfg|%%USERCONFDIR%%/retroarch/cheevos.cfg|%%USERCONFDIR%%/retroarch/retroarch-genesisplusgx.cfg" -L %%BASE%%/emulators/RetroArch/lib/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so %%GAME%%
3. Restart PES and now 6 button games will work.

Note: tested with Mortal Combat III.

I'll add this to PES 2.6.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi again,

I've now got six button control pad support working for Picodrive as well.

1) Create ~/pes/conf.d/retroarch/retroarch-core-options.cfg with the following contents:

picodrive_input1 = "6 button pad"
picodrive_input2 = "6 button pad"
2) Add to ~/pes/conf.d/retroarch/retroarch.cfg:

core_options_path = "~/pes/conf.d/retroarch/retroarch-core-options.cfg"
3) Now launch a game from PES.

Note: this has been added to PES 2.6 which I hope to release soon.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

PES 2.6 has now been released which includes the support for six button control pads.

It can be downloaded from http://pes.mundayweb.com

Cheers,

Neil.