Bluetooth adapter and other feature requests

Found a bug, need help or have a suggestion for PES then please post here!
Rik

Bluetooth adapter and other feature requests

Post by Rik »

Hi Neil,

Thanks again for your help regarding zip files.

Had a brilliant bash using this when a few friends were around, memory lane.

One weird thing which I think is my fault, one idea for improvement, and one thing that I think may be an emulation issue? Thought I'd add here but if you like I can repost somewhere else :)

Bluetooth adapter. I use a Bluetooth keyboard/touchpad Rii i8. It works great and never drops. But it isn't recognised as a Bluetooth adapter which means I can't use PS3 pads wirelessly. Looking into this I believe it's a rubbish adapter but I'm confused as the keyboard works fine!

It would be great to have an option to scroll through a list of games rather than scroll through pages of images. This list could have details such as number of times played, last played etc. I've a large number of ROMS so a choice to be more efficient would really help.

Finally a wierd thing we noticed. I can get three PS3 joypads to be recognised by the system but on known multiplayer (rather than two player) games, a third player cannot join. This is the case for me on Megadrive and PS1 games. Is this to be expected? I'd it because they are USB and I need to sort out the Bluetooth adapter issue?

Thanks again for a brilliant system and for your patience in supporting a new Linux user :)

Rik
Neil
Site Admin

Re: Bluetooth adapter and other feature requests

Post by Neil »

Hi Rik,

Hope you don't mind but I moved your reply into a new thread.

Glad to hear you like PES :-)
Rik wrote:Bluetooth adapter. I use a Bluetooth keyboard/touchpad Rii i8. It works great and never drops. But it isn't recognised as a Bluetooth adapter which means I can't use PS3 pads wirelessly. Looking into this I believe it's a rubbish adapter but I'm confused as the keyboard works fine!
In testing my two Bluetooth adapters with the QtSixAd software (which is used by PES for PS3 control pad support wirelessly) I found that one one of them worked. When debugging the software it wasn't getting the expect information back from the adapter. It sounds like your adapter might be suffering the same issue.

Have you tried using the Linux Bluez libraries instead of QtSixAd as detailed here: http://pes.mundayweb.com/html/Using%20P ... -of-qtsixa ? Using this method both my adapters work, but you don't get the LEDs lighting up and it requires some keyboard bashing to set-up. I hope in the future to automate this and allow users to select which method they would like to use.
Rik wrote:It would be great to have an option to scroll through a list of games rather than scroll through pages of images.
I agree, again it's on the to do list to offer alternative views for games. I also need to make it more efficient when loading large ROM collections.
Rik wrote:Finally a wierd thing we noticed. I can get three PS3 joypads to be recognised by the system but on known multiplayer (rather than two player) games, a third player cannot join.
You are correct, it's an emulation issue. Basically most of the old consoles only support two players as the consoles only had two ports. However, the NES, SNES and PS1 for example all had "multi-taps" to allow extra players to play certain games. RetroArch has very limited multi-tap support, and it depends on whether the console emulator in question can emulate this piece of hardware (most don't). In the case of the Mega Drive Codemasters made "J-Carts" for some of their games (e.g. Micro Machines) which allowed two additional control pads to be connected. Again, the Meg Drive emulator has to be able to support these additional ports that are found on J-Carts. Sadly, Picodrive which is used by PES does not emulate these additional ports. I have asked the author sometime ago if they plan to add support for J-Carts but nothing has happened so far.

However, the GenesisPlusX emulator which PES uses for other Sega devices does support J-Carts. The reason PES does not use this emulator for Mega Drive games is due to poor performance on the Raspberry Pi (it works great for the Master System and Game Gear though). I haven't tried it on the Raspberry Pi 2 yet though so it might run better there. If you want to try this emulator rather than PicoDrive please edit the PES consoles.ini file which can be found via Network on Windows (PES -> config -> pes -> consoles.ini) and copy and paste the Master System's "command" property to the Mega Drive entry so it looks like so:

Code: Select all

[MegaDrive]
id:			36
emulator:	RetroArch
image:		%%BASE%%/resources/MegaDrive.png
extensions:	.smd .SMD .md .MD .gen .GEN .bin .BIN .zip .ZIP
%%BASE%%/emulators/RetroArch/bin/retroarch --appendconfig %%BASE%%/conf.d/retroarch/retroarch.cfg -L %%BASE%%/emulators/RetroArch/lib/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so %%GAME%%
nocoverart:	%%BASE%%/resources/MegaDrive - nocoverart.png
Alternative you can edit the file at the command line:

Code: Select all

nano ~/pes/conf.d/pes/consoles.ini
Hope this helps and thanks for the feature suggestions,

Neil.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Neil. Sorry for the late response.

Yes no probs moving the post :)

Bluetooth - I tried following Bluez but the adapter I have isn't recognised and simple core things like listing the Bluetooth status doesn't work. I've yet to try a replacement adapter but will update you.

Nice one on lists.

Yes I think j carts and multi taps made many of the games I have fond memories of the games I actually remember. Am I right in saying that N64 (on v1.3) will suffer the same issue?

I will have a go with the mega drive emulator in the future (on the pi2) as I'm really happy except for jcart and I often find the grass is often greener. :)

Cheers,
Rik
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Rik wrote:Am I right in saying that N64 (on v1.3) will suffer the same issue?
No, the N64 had four ports built into the console so it shouldn't suffer the same issue.

I have just tested three player Mario Kart 64 (as I only have three control pads configured to test with) and I can confirm it works :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Nice one :)
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

I should add that in testing I have found that with the N64 emulator it's best to use all the same type of control pad btw.