PES 1.2 released for RPi and RPi 2!

Found a bug, need help or have a suggestion for PES then please post here!
Neil
Site Admin

PES 1.2 released for RPi and RPi 2!

Post by Neil »

Dear all,

I am pleased to announce the release of the Pi Entertainment System (PES) version 1.2 for the Raspberry Pi and for the Raspberry Pi 2! The respective images can be downloaded using the following links:

Raspberry Pi (Arm6) (md5sum: 085ca6ba47ece8273e202722d65e366b, 653MB)
Raspberry Pi 2 (Arm7) (md5sum: c112d405b62a9f7e719b804700bca019, 752MB)

Note: You must use the image that matches the Arm architecture of your Raspberry Pi.

The main changes/new features are as follows:
  • Added support for favourite games
  • Added support for additional game info including last played, played count and year published
  • Added separate BIOS directory for RetroArch
  • Added support for GameBoy Advance thanks to gpsp
  • Added SDL2 (used by RetroArch)
  • Added HDMI-CEC config option
  • Added the ability to browse by “page” for games using the control pad shoulder buttons
  • Added joystick axis support at last - this means wired XBox 360 and third party PS3 control pads now work with PES
  • Added Raspberry Pi 2 support!
  • Added paging support for game thumbnail menus
  • Improved logging for unhandled exceptions
  • Restructured conf.d directory
  • Corrected bug in image auto resizing code for the console menu
  • Updated all emulators to their latest versions
  • Updated operating system packages to their latest versions
The PES Documentation has also been updated with details about the new version.

As others have reported, the Raspberry Pi 2 gives significant emulation performance over its predecessor.

I would like to thank Eric Smith and Paul Oxberry for taking the time to test the new version of PES, and the ArchLinux Arm community for releasing a Raspberry Pi 2 (Arm7) version of ArchLinux so quickly.

I hope you enjoy using these new images and as always if you find any bugs or have any feature requests that aren't the to-do-list please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Neil.
PESnewb

Re: PES 1.2 released for RPi and RPi 2!

Post by PESnewb »

Hi Neil,
First, thank you much for this great image. Set it up yesterday and so far it has been perfect for me. I do have a question. Previously I was using psx_rearmed under Retropie. I started having gamepad issues, and while researching found your image. Again, thank you. With psx_rearmed in Retropie, I had been using the ingame save option which would create the save file as an .srm file, and place it in the PSX folder, along with the game roms. I put my save game file (.srm) in the psx folder of PES, but the game no longer sees that file (iow, after game loads, user selects new game or continue, and upon selecting continue, the game used to show the saved slots and let me choose which save to load) The game now tells me there is no saved data. Will PES allow me to use this .srm file? (I hate to start my game all over :( ) If so, where to put the file so that it will be used? If not, does that mean I can only use save state, and load state rather than the in game save? Thaks so much for your answer. Jude
PESnewb

Post by PESnewb »

Hi Neil, Thank you very much for this great image. Set it up yesterday, and it has been working perfectly. I have a question. I had been used psx_rearmed in Retropie. I was using the in game save, and it created a .srm file in the psx rom folder. I want to continue the game now using PES, and placed my .srm in the PES PSX rom folder. But the game doesn't see it. At the start of loading the game, I could previously select continue (rather than new game) and the game would then display a list of my saved games and allow me to select a save and load the data. Now, with psx_rearmed, in PES, the game tells me no saved data found. Since it's the same emulator, will PES allow me to use my .srm file --if so, where should it be placed? And, if not, does that mean I can only use save state and load state, and that ingame saving doesn't work? Thank you again for this super image, and tia for your answer. Best regards, Jude
(p.s. I posted this already but it disappeared, so hopefully this is not a double post, and if so, I'm sorry)
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Jude,

Glad to hear you like PES.

On the save game front, the *.srm files should be placed in the roms/psx directory and should be named the same as the game. If the emulator is not finding your saved game files it could be because the they are from the standalone version perhaps?

Are you able to load PSX games created with the PES version?

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

I've just done some testing and I can load save game files (*.srm) that have been generated using the PSX emulator that PES uses.

Cheers,

Neil.
PESnewb

Post by PESnewb »

Hi Neil, I am sorry. I must've had "user-error" the 1st time around. I tried my .srm again, and you are absolutely correct. It works perfectly.
Everything, in fact, works perfectly -- the gamepad setup, the network access -- all quick and easy. I must say this is the best emulator image I have used to date, and I have tried several. Thanks for all of your help.
Best regards, Jude :beer:
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Jude,

Not a problem and glad to hear the SRM file works for you.

Glad you like PES, cheers :beer:

Neil.