BOINC query

A place for comments, questions and news about MundayWeb's BOINC FAQ Service.
sebastianwrites

BOINC query

Post by sebastianwrites » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi - I just want the answer to simple questions please:

First, why is Boinc so hard to contact? It is not justifiable for these internet companies to not have a direct telephone number, technology is not a complete substitute even at all for human contact.

Secondly, I signed up for Seti as a screensaver etc but now I have some star pulse thing, what's happened here?

How do I get the Seti thing back?

Actually considering doing that global climate thing, as this problem seems more imminent - doubt if any aliens out there, would have much to do with a species on the verge of destroying itself and its entire planet!

Thirdly, how do I get these programmes to stay on screen longer, as my screen after a very short period of time goes completely blank, which defeats the point of using these programmes to some extent. I presume it continues to work in the background at this time and others but I would prefer to see it working?

*MY EMAIL IS: [email protected] (it may be easier to contact me directly.)

Neil
Site Admin

Re: BOINC query

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

I have made your post a separate topic in its own right as it did not belong in the previous topic.

For BOINC help, please see BOINC's help pages at: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/BOINC_Help . In particular, see http://boinc.berkeley.edu/help.php which offers help via e-mail/phone.

In regards to why your screen goes "blank", this is probably due to your power saving settings on your monitor. Usually after say 15mins or so, Windows will put your monitor into standby mode which will make it appear "blank".

To resolve this, right click on your desktop and choose display settings or personalize (depending on your version of Windows). From here you can access your power saving options for your monitor.

Hope this helps,

Neil.

Ageless

Post by Ageless » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:07 pm

sebastianwrites wrote:First, why is Boinc so hard to contact? It is not justifiable for these internet companies to not have a direct telephone number, technology is not a complete substitute even at all for human contact.
You have to understand that BOINC isn't a big company. The development team of the software consist of 3 people who work full-time on the software, the community around it is all volunteers. You can get help from lots of volunteers, through the addresses that Neil pointed out or by posting on the BOINC Dev forums (needs separate registration from any project you're attached to).
Secondly, I signed up for Seti as a screensaver etc but now I have some star pulse thing, what's happened here?

How do I get the Seti thing back?
The screen saver shows the graphics for whichever project is running. If you're attached to Einstein, Seti and ClimatePrediction.Net, you can see all three screen savers, they'll switch at switching applications.

You won't see the Einstein screen saver when a CPDN task is running, you won't see the Seti screen saver when an Einstein task is running. Pretty simple that.
Thirdly, how do I get these programmes to stay on screen longer, as my screen after a very short period of time goes completely blank, which defeats the point of using these programmes to some extent. I presume it continues to work in the background at this time and others but I would prefer to see it working?
If you go to the properties of your desktop (right click anywhere on a free space on your Windows desktop, properties), then on to the Screen saver tab, click on Settings, you will see a check before "go to blank screen" and some amount of time before this happens. Unchecking "go to blank screen" disables the Windows way of stopping to show the screen saver.

You may still have other options (in the Power options, BIOS, monitor itself) to power down the monitor. But you will have to look those up yourself.

sebastianwrites

Post by sebastianwrites » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks for the responses...

But as I stated I have only downloaded one prog and that was SETI as far as I know, not the star pulsey thang?

PS: if I want to raise a question in re SETI and its very first and only questionable result, where would I do that please...

Which section I mean please?

I am still getting to grips with the service, I had thought my first message completely disappeared!

Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 pm

sebastianwrites wrote:I am still getting to grips with the service, I had thought my first message completely disappeared!
I moved your post into its own topic as it didn't belong in the original thread.
sebastianwrites wrote:PS: if I want to raise a question in re SETI and its very first and only questionable result, where would I do that please...
The best place to ask Seti specific questions is: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_index.php

Cheers,

Neil.

Ageless

Post by Ageless » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:12 pm

sebastianwrites wrote:But as I stated I have only downloaded one prog and that was SETI as far as I know, not the star pulsey thang?
Seti has got two science applications at this time, one being the old style Seti (search for extraterrestrials), the other being Astropulse (which looks for black holes and super novas).

It is possible you're looking at the screen saver of an Astropulse task.
If the name of task that's running starts with AP_, then it's an Astropulse task. If it starts with a date combination (e.g. 31au08), then it's a Seti Enhanced task.

sebastianwrites

Post by sebastianwrites » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:37 pm

If you go to the properties of your desktop (right click anywhere on a free space on your Windows desktop, properties), then on to the Screen saver tab, click on Settings, you will see a check before "go to blank screen" and some amount of time before this happens. Unchecking "go to blank screen" disables the Windows way of stopping to show the screen saver.

Still not sure I have got this right in re, setting of the time for the visuals to appear on my screensaver. The thing is the box, which says a blank screen will appear in so many mins, was not ticked anyway?

Ageless

Post by Ageless » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:39 am

sebastianwrites wrote:The thing is the box, which says a blank screen will appear in so many mins, was not ticked anyway?
Then you'll have to check your Power Options (Start->(Settings->)Control Panel->Power Options).

And as I said, if there's nothing there either shutting down your monitor, it may be something in the BIOS. Check your motherboard manual, or if you have one for the whole PC, that one. Or it may be a setting in the Onscreen Display options of the monitor itself. No, I don't know how to get to those latter two, check your manuals.