Translation view

A place for comments, questions and news about MundayWeb's BOINC FAQ Service.
mo.v
Established Member

Re: Translation view

Post by mo.v » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:56 am

Hi Neil

Sorry, I've only just seen your post. I've retried in IE7 with two FAQs. Only the long FAQ reproduced the problem.

#1. I selected English FAQ section 3 #66 (Can I hide BOINC from View?) to translate into French. This is a short FAQ.

Looking at the English FAQ, I selected Translate. I now had both translation windows displayed horizontally.

I typed in the heading, selected French.

On the English version on the left I clicked on Show/Hide bbCode.

Both translation windows stayed aligned horizontally. No problem.

#2. Same procedure. I selected English FAQ section 3 #376 (Big BOINC Answer Thread) to translate. It's a long FAQ.

Looking at the English FAQ I selected Translate. Both translation windows displayed horizontally & aligned.

Typed in heading, chose French.

I scrolled down the English window on the left and clicked on Show/Hide bbCode.

The English version on the left dropped down off the screen out of view.

I went down to it and clicked Show bbCode.

The English window stayed down & did not realign.

I think the difference between attempt #1 and #2 was the length of the FAQ to be translated. It could be the scroll bar on long FAQs that's causing the problem.

=================================================================

Another thing that puzzled me was that in the case of the Big BOINC Answer Thread, I was offered the options of translating it into French or Czech. But I'd already translated it into French and posted it so I don't think I should have been given that option again.

For example, in the case of 'Can I hide BOINC from View?' there was no option of translating it into Spanish as this job has already been done.

I'll be looking at all of this again on Sunday.

Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi Mo,

Thanks for the detailed answer.

For me with FireFox 3.0, the issue does not occur, the window on the left stays aligned properly. With IE7 though, it drops down the page slightly when showing the bbCode. This could be a fun one to sort out in all browsers!

FAQ 446 (the French version of 376) was not translated from FAQ 376 according to the database. Instead a new FAQ was created.

As a result I have edited the record for FAQ 446 in the database so that it now has FAQ 376 as being the "base FAQ". This now means that French is no longer offered as an option when translating this FAQ.

If any more like this are found, please let me know and I will sort out the database. If I find any on my travels I will sort them out as well.

Cheers,

Neil.

mo.v
Established Member

Post by mo.v » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:03 pm

Neil, I think the fact that FAQ 446 (the French version of 376) was not translated from FAQ 376 according to the database was my fault, not the website's. If I remember rightly, in order to be able to look at the bbCode of the English version I was translating from without it dropping off the screen, I did create the French version as a new FAQ and opened the English version in a separate window/tab.

I won't do this again; sorry for your wasted time. I didn't think of the consequences of my unorthodox approach. Just as well you mentioned it because I'll now play by the book.

Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:07 pm

No need to apologise - it's very easy to fix!