Discussion about merging faq with BOINC website

A place for comments, questions and news about MundayWeb's BOINC FAQ Service.
John37309

Discussion about merging faq with BOINC website

Post by John37309 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Considering the recent expansion of the BOINC website into a "User Style" MediaWiki, have you guys considered merging the BOINC FAQ Service into the user documentation?

One Unified website with all the information a user needs in one place; http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/index.php/User_Manual

This would greatly increase the number of people that could contribute to the FAQ's and allow for even better organisation of the material and translation into many languages!

The projects list has been expanded; http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/index.php/Project_list

John.

Ageless

Re: Discussion about merging faq with BOINC website

Post by Ageless » Wed May 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Perhaps once that Wiki is out of its infancy and is on a reliable server. Seeing that every time Trac is down, the Wiki has similar problems.

I'm also not seeing any multilingual attempts yet, so that would mean we (read me) would have to go set it up.

As for that, are you also striving for the other Wikis to be merged into that one, or only the BFS?
Got any proof of that?

John37309

Post by John37309 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:10 am

Ageless wrote:Perhaps once that Wiki is out of its infancy and is on a reliable server. Seeing that every time Trac is down, the Wiki has similar problems.

I'm also not seeing any multilingual attempts yet, so that would mean we (read me) would have to go set it up.

As for that, are you also striving for the other Wikis to be merged into that one, or only the BFS?
Got any proof of that?
I spent 15 mins writing a message and the forum logged me out!

Yes, i would hope that BOINC FAQ, UBW and Boincteams.com would all be able to merge into the BOINC website. And any others that are writing user information.

Its just a suggestion!

john.

John37309

Post by John37309 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:48 am

I just asked about the FAQ you guys are doing. I have no idea what others are thinking. If you intend to keep it seperate then i'm sure you have good reason to do that!

John.

Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil » Fri May 16, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi guys,

John, I understand you want to unify all the BOINC material and I think this is a good idea but it's going to take some effort and co-operation from all the various sites.

Maybe the first step is to provide a site that at least links to the other BOINC sites so people can find out stuff easier. As the provider and host of the FAQ I am willing to discuss moves to unify BOINC documentation. However, it is the content providers and translators that would also have to agree with any plans to move data elsewhere as they have provided the info and taken the effort to write the FAQs.

Who will host the centralised site? Who will be responsible for maintaining it?

I don't want a flame war to start! We're all working for the same cause ;-)

Neil.

Dagorath

Post by Dagorath » Mon May 19, 2008 12:04 am

I put a link on BOINC wiki pointing to FAS.

John, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by unification but if it means moving every doc and FAQ to 1 central website then I think it's never going to happen. Why? Because it doesn't need to happen. It would just be busy work that serves no purpose and the author's of the docs you want to unify know that so they're going to tell you exactly what I'm teling you in the next paragraph.

The beauty of the web is that docs can live anywhere. They don't need to be all on the same site. All that is needed is a list of links to the docs. And the links should be organised in a table of contents (TOC) at a site everybody knows about.

Now, my opinion is that we have a TOC at the BOINC wiki. BOINC's homepage links to that wiki. Everybody who needs info on BOINC knows how to get to BOINC's homepage. If they have a heartbeat they'll be able to find the link to the wiki. If they can't find that link then they have no hope of running BOINC. The first thing they see at the wiki is the TOC. Why not just add links to existing docs to that TOC?