Bandwidth exceeded - Dec 31 2005

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Neil
Site Admin

Bandwidth exceeded - Dec 31 2005

Post by Neil »

Hi all,

The site has been approaching it's monthly bandwidth limit the last few months, but has never exceeded it - until now.

I am going to secure extra bandwidth for the site to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately, I was out partying until the very early hours this morning and as a result was unaware that the site had been knocked off the Net!

Happy New Year,

Neil.
Villan

Post by Villan »

Why not route more of the downloads etc to the mirrors ... thereby taking some of the load away from your server.

I actually have a spare 600gb of monthly bandwidth, and would love a way of burning some of it :P

But on the plus-side: It shows that the programs are getting more popular :D
Welcome to the Internet, Where;
Mem are Men ...
Women Are Men ...
And Cute little girls are FBI Agents.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

I have actually disabled MundayWeb from generating the graphics at the moment to ease the load. Unfortunately, no amount of mirrors will actually be able to stop the inevitable bandwidth exceeded error message.

I thought I hand found the ideal host who is both cheaper and provides unlimited bandwidth. Unfortunately, they do not provide SSH access, which I need in order to run my Perl scripts. D'oh.

I'll see how this month goes before enquiring with my existing host about extra bandwidth.

Originally, I was only paying £10 a year for my hosting, but since the BOINC sigs started, I'm paying a lot more than that per month!!

Neil.
Beach Bum

Hosting

Post by Beach Bum »

Neil, I sent you a host, they do support SSH, so you can get in to work on your pearl scripts. They also support ruby and a few others as well.

If you need the link again, let me know, will e-mail it. Also the offer still stands as I see there is another as well. If you need to offload some of the bandwidth, go for it, still have plenty left here as well.

Mirror 16 says " Come on I can take it!! "

LOL
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

I still have the info.

At the moment I am going to see how this month goes. I maybe able to strike a deal with my web host as I have 1 GB web space which is hardly used - it just came with the bandwidth.

Watch this space...

Neil.
Villan

Post by Villan »

How much bandwidth do you get through in 1 month?
Welcome to the Internet, Where;
Mem are Men ...
Women Are Men ...
And Cute little girls are FBI Agents.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

The MundayWeb domain as a whole has 20 GB allocated to it by my host.

Before the 31st, 15 GB was used for the boinc subdomain and the remaining 5 GB for the rest of the site.

I have now changed this to 17 GB and 3 GB respectively. I have also stopped MundayWeb from generating the stats graphics and placed this load entirely on the mirrors in an effort to keep the bandwidth down (hopefully!).

Neil.