AFRICA@Home

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Halifax--lad
Established Member

AFRICA@Home

Post by Halifax--lad »

AFRICA@Home is another new project out its currently been tested on at the moment.

Account Creation is disabled for now and they hope to open the floodgates early 2007.

Neil I don't think they will mind you adding them to your stats as it has been advertised in a fair few forums now and its not like they can be flooded with users as no account creations can take place.

There is some info in the XML stats.
Join us in Chat (see the forum) Click the Sig
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

Thanks for the info... I'll add the project to the site later this week.

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Project added - enjoy!

Neil.
Krunchin-Keith

Proper name of project MalariaControl Project

Post by Krunchin-Keith »

The OK has been given to use the XML Stats:
Yeah why not. We have turned account creation off, so i dont think it will be a problem.
But the name needs to be corrected:
I suggest MalariaControl, or Malaria, or MCP (in that order of preference).
Better not Africa@home as that will cover several sub-projects of which MalariaControl is only the first.

Thanks for your help,

Ben Segal / MalariaControl Coordinator
See XML thread at MalaricControl Project

Please note that MalaricControl Project is in ALPHA test phase and that account creation is currently disabled, so everone doen't need to rush and try to signup. They expect a January 2006 for a public start. See the what is page at Africa@home for more information.

Thank You, Krunchin-Keith, Alpha tester for:
ImageImage
Krunchin-Keith

Post by Krunchin-Keith »

See my banners in above post.

You've got something wrong again with teams. I should be on 'USA'.

I checked the XML files currrently on MalariaControl and they correctly show me on team #4 which is 'USA' and is correct. In the team.xml file which only has 6 teams team #4 is USA which is correct and clearly shows me as a member.
You show me on team Thor Commando Rank 116, of which there is no such team on that project.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Keith,

I'll get the name updated soon.

On the team front, your team may be correct at the time you posted in the team XML file, but it wasn't this morning when the update script ran.

I'm beginning to think that there's either an error on my side of things (unlikely as the script has been unchanged for many months) or that there is some error in the XML export code being used by the latest BOINC projects. For example, there were 196 teams reported in the Africa@Home team XML file this morning.

Similar problems with the team XML file has been seen with Lattice and Rosetta.

Neil.
Krunchin-Keith

Post by Krunchin-Keith »

I've always been on the same team since joining, as I created that team on this project immediately upon establishing my account. The project has only been running about a month. There are 26 users and 6 teams and has been that way since they disabled account creation. I check the XML files, not every day, but have not ever seen a problem on thier end. There is no way it ever could have had more than 6 teams. The error must be on your end as the team you had me on never exsisted on this project. Only those 6 that are shown now.

[edit]
A check of other projects shows PrimeGrid has 196 teams.

[edit agian]
Further investigation shows team 4 at primegrid is Thor Commando the team you showed me on incorrectly.

[edit some more]
Interesting. When you had me on the wrong team on my lattice banner, my team number at lattice is #128. I found team 128 at Rosetta is the name you had for me, MacLinX.

Seems like your files are mixed up ?
Last edited by Krunchin-Keith on Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Halifax--lad
Established Member

Post by Halifax--lad »

You beat me to it Keith, was going to post it at dinner time about the name of the project to be changed but couldn't get on the site with my work computer :cry:

your team stat also looks fine now :!:
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Keith,

I agree there is something fishy going on my end. However, I cannot see what it is, as when I re-run the script myself it works fine, and most of the time, the cron job is correct too.

I'll try to sort it out, but as I said, the script has been working fine for months.

Please bare with me!

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi again,

Here goes...

In the days when MundayWeb only supported a few projects, the update script would be run for each project at 1 hour intervals from midnight onwards to 10 am. At 11 am, the info script is ran to generate the stats page.

Anyways, I now run the update script for the smaller projects at the same time as they don't take long to run. The intention was to download the XML files to the tmp directory on my server and give them individual names to prevent clashes. Other temp files created by the script are done so in the same way.

I originally had this code (Perl):

Code: Select all

$TMP_TEAM_GZIP = "/home/boinc/tmp/$prjName_team_id.gz";
$TMP_USER_GZIP = "/home/boinc/tmp/$prjName_user_id.gz";
Where $prjName is the name of the project being updated. Unfortunately, in Perl, underscores are allowed in variable names (as with most languages) so this meant that the temp files were downloaded to file called ".gz". Of course, if more than one instance of the update script is running at the same time, this can cause unexpected results!

This therefore must be the cause. I have since updated the script like so:

Code: Select all

$TMP_TEAM_GZIP = "/home/boinc/tmp/$prjName" . "_team_id.gz";
$TMP_USER_GZIP = "/home/boinc/tmp/$prjName" . "_user_id.gz";
And more importantly, proved it works.

Do not fear - the databases have not be screwed up. When a project is updated, the user and team data is inserted into new tables, the old ones deleted and then the new ones renamed. This is quicker than running update queries and also means that any deleted users are not included.

Phew!

Neil.
Krunchin-Keith

Post by Krunchin-Keith »

Well I'm glad you found it. I've seen that before myself, everything works fine when run manually, but in automatic unattended mode it does not. And sometimes its hard to find.

I will keep a closer watch over the next few days.

Thanx and have a good night.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

I have made the name change. A couple of mirrors have yet to be updated at the time of this post.

Cheers,

Neil.
Krunchin-Keith

Post by Krunchin-Keith »

Its working now, at the time of my post. It was a big surprise. :D

Teams so far have remained correct on my banners. :)

Many Thanks :wink:
Halifax--lad
Established Member

Post by Halifax--lad »

Neil,

The project's main site will be at http://www.malariacontrol.net/

so another set of XML to add as soon as it goes live
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

Thanks for the info - will keep an eye on it.

Neil.