New web site - BETA testers required!

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Neil
Site Admin

New web site - BETA testers required!

Post by Neil »

Dear all,

It's been a long time coming, but I have finally got round to up loading a new version of the the site, which I hope is a big improvement over the original.

It can be found at: (for now) http://boinc2.mundayweb.com

Please note: this a temporary home

There are still some things to iron out, like the graphic previews and of course any bugs or improvements that may be suggested by you.

Only selected users can log into the beta site. If you would like to try out the new site and give feedback - positive or negative, please reply to this thread and tell me your user ID or e-mail address and I'll enable your account.

Important: The beta site uses the same database as the original site. This means that any graphic, project changes etc. will be reflected by both sites. So please click carefully!

The main improvements are:

- better layout = less clutter
- easier code maintenance for me
- image caching introduced, which means no need for any mirrors

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Please do not be afraid to criticise as this information can be vital when trying to improve a site.

Thanks in advance,

Neil.
Ageless

Re: New web site - BETA testers required!

Post by Ageless »

The bright blue bars are still visible for me wherever I look. Do you plan to give away Ray-Bans on activation of this site? ;)

Just me, I know, but I hate bright blue bars combined with a further white site.
Anyway, on to debugging. Do you really want two vertical scroll bars? One for the "news" part and one for the whole page? of course, luckily with the page scroll I can scroll those horrible blue bars out of view. ;)
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Jord,

I know what you mean about the blue bars - think I may go back to the subsilver theme, but keep the layout.

You're right about the scroll bars - although I only get one on Firefox, I 've just tried out the site in Safari and I don't get any!

I'll try to sort both these issues sometime this week.

Cheers,

Neil
Ageless

Post by Ageless »

Neil wrote:I know what you mean about the blue bars - think I may go back to the subsilver theme, but keep the layout.
They might mellow a bit if the background wasn't that hard white. Doubtful though.
I like the layout, though it is a long scroll to the bottom. Remember that option I asked for the FAQs? Perhaps that you can use it here as well. You may even be able to test-run it on here... ;)
Neil wrote:You're right about the scroll bars - although I only get one on Firefox
I guess it depends on what screen resolution you run. I'm still at a 17 inch monitor, so 1024x768 is my lot. Also Firefox.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Jord,

Right... the colours have been changed back to the old scheme and you will now only get one scroll bar. I think it looks better already.

I need to break-up the index page into separate pages - I should have said that in my original post, but I went for functionality first ;-) Hopefully, I'll get time to do this later in the week.

[quote=Ageless]I guess it depends on what screen resolution you run. I'm still at a 17 inch monitor, so 1024x768 is my lot.[/quote]

1680 x 1050 here (22" Samsung LCD :-) ) Not as good as work though... two 24" LCDs ;-)

I have given you access to the site as well.

Cheers,

Neil.
Ageless

Post by Ageless »

Neil wrote:Right... the colours have been changed back to the old scheme and you will now only get one scroll bar. I think it looks better already.
That is a lot better on the eyes. Even though now I could use some bright colour waking up scheme, it being 6.15am, me needing to go places in an hour and not looking forward to getting on a bike at -7C. ;)
I need to break-up the index page into separate pages - I should have said that in my original post, but I went for functionality first
I saw my name there at the bottom, so to keep word, I jumped in. :)
I have given you access to the site as well.
So, what does that do? You mean I can now log in?
Well, that's a lot friendlier. Less text.

You sure though that the numbers are correct?
I see, for instance, that Predictor shows me at 118093.31, whereas BOINCStats has frozen me at 122,172.25. I see all of the active projects have ~2,000 to ~16,000 credit difference to what they actually are on 'other' stats sites. Now, you know me, I don't care about the numbers, but a lot of people out there think it's the only thing that exists on this earth.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Jord,

Not sure about the credit differences. All I can say is that my site updates when it can from all the sites that are active.

Cheers,

Neil.