New projects

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Contact

Re: New projects

Post by Contact »

Fingers crossed. Even if no joy, at least it's a complete list of all BOINC projects that have enabled stats to date.
Awesome! :beer:
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi all,

Disappointingly, my web host has said they cannot increase my database limit which is disappointing. For historical reasons, each BOINC project is stored in its own database, mainly for manageability. However, due to the rise in projects I've now got over 180 databases.

I'll see if I can move to a one database schema instead but it's going to take some time and effort to consolidate the records into one database and to update the various bits of code.

For now I will add any new projects to my stats server (it's separate from the web server) so that the records are are least being saved somewhere for later use.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Just an update.

I've got a test version of the site up and running with the new database schema.

I'm now working on a new version of the stats update script to make use of the new schema.

Also an ideal opportunity to convert the code from Perl to Python and modernise it a bit.

The code was written largely in 2004/2005 but it has lasted well.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi all,

Support for the Kruptos@Home project has now been added.

The web site and backend stats processing scripts are now using the new database schema. Please let me know if you experience any issues using the site.

Cheers,

Neil.
Contact

Post by Contact »

Neil wrote:Support for the Kruptos@Home project has now been added.
Thank you for your all your rework to allow this to happen.
But don't relax too much yet :)
Another old project (but never had stats here) - Van Der Waerden Numbers - has been revived and permission to published stats has been given here: http://www.vdwnumbers.org/vdwnumbers/fo ... postid=398

Cheers!
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up - the project has now been added as "VDWN".

Cheers,

Neil.
Contact

BOINC@TACC

Post by Contact »

https://boinc.tacc.utexas.edu/

I don't think this project has been added here yet. Probably because of it's sputtering on again, off again launch. It very rarely has work, but the project runs fine.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

I've tried to add the project but their XML files contain invalid characters. I've tried to clean them up but each time I correct one character error, another comes up.

I'll see what I can do but it would be good if the project itself could fix their XML files.

Cheers,

Neil.
Contact

Post by Contact »

Neil wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pmI've tried to add the project but their XML files contain invalid characters.
What the...? I just ran into similar character encoding issues that I'm still trying to sort out
https://discord.com/channels/8240011348 ... 3342218311
I was able to blow up posts in a few BOINC php forums just by including emoji's 📣 in them.

Anyway, regarding TACC, they are the most GDPR compliant BOINC project around, and it wouldn't surprise me if they are doing something unique with their database. Maybe I'll bring it up with them.
Thanks for spending time on this Neil.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

I will confess I have given up for now. I tried various things and utilities to correct their XML files but had no success. A simple example which fails is of the form:

Code: Select all

<description>A & B</description>
This is invalid XML due to the ampersand. The content in the tag should use CDATA markup for such content.

Other examples are invalid UTF-8 characters that break both XML parsers I have tried.

Cheers,

Neil.
Contact

beef@home

Post by Contact »

beef@home
New kid on the block running a math app at the moment but looking for ideas. Looks promising.
Permission to publish stats:
https://www.nodium.net/beefathome/forum ... &postid=17
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up.

Support for the project has now been added.

Cheers,

Neil.
llskintech

Re: beef@home

Post by llskintech »

Contact wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:12 pm Image

beef@home
New kid on the block running a math app at the moment but looking for ideas. Looks promising.
Permission to publish stats:
https://www.nodium.net/beefathome/forum ... &postid=17
anyone please help with this project since it's new but I can never open the website.
Don't know if the problem with my internet connecting or the project stopped?
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hmmm... does look a bit dead doesn't it!?
Dr Who Fan

Re: beef@home

Post by Dr Who Fan »

anyone please help with this project since it's new but I can never open the website.
Don't know if the problem with my internet connecting or the project stopped?
Yes, it's still unreachable now.
It's a TEST PROJECT that probably will come and go. Apparently it was never designed to be an "open to the public" project.
See the post at the BOINC/Berkley message board Message 104616 for more details.