New projects

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Ex_Brit

Re: New projects

Post by Ex_Brit »

I've removed LHC because no more WU's will ever be forthcoming for it. The best place to ask would be their message boards but I am pretty sure that everyone's credit was carried forward to Sixtrack.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
philip-in-hongkong

Post by philip-in-hongkong »

Hi Neil,

Two interesting issues.

SixTrack is the descendent of LHC@Home. All users and credits had been carried forward from LHC@Home. I do not think that it is necessary to keep LHC@Home in the project list. Otherwise the total credits will not be correct if a member attachs to the SixTrack but does not remove LHC@Home. However, the existing members must re-attach their accounts themselves thereafter.

Albert@Home is a test project ran by the Einstein@Home team. Originally they use an ancient user database from Einstein@Home. They had then zeroed the users' credits and also purged users with zero credits. The current stats showed that there are 46 users, 19 teams and 61 hosts. Would it be all right now to add it to the project list? I note that Free-DC has already added it into their list.

By the way, may YAFU, an alpha project to test the latest Boinc server code for bugs and, in parallel, do some factorization of numbers, be added to the project list also?

Cheers,
Philip
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

LHC@Home has been removed and a news item posted advising people to add SixTrack instead.

I've also added Albert@Home and YAFU.

Cheers for the info,

Neil.
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

New project: SAT@home

http://sat.isa.ru/pdsat/

SAT@home is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to solve hard and practically important problems (discrete functions inversion problems, discrete optimization, bioinformatics, etc) that can be effectively reduced to SAT. Currently in the project problems of inversion of some cryptographic functions used in keystream generators are being solved. All cryptographic algorithms under investigation are publicly available. Corresponding tasks are randomly generated and do not contain any confidential information. We also plan to publish obtained results. In the nearest future we are going to launch an experiment for solving Quadratic Assignment problem (as a SAT problem) within the project.

Al.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Al,

Thanks for the info.

The project has now been added.

Cheers,

Neil.
philip-in-hongkong

Post by philip-in-hongkong »

Hi Neil,

Volpex@UH (http://volpex.cs.uh.edu/VCP/) is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in creating effective parallel computing on multiple volatile nodes. Not a new project, but it has had their credit rationalized and exported.

Cheers,
Philip
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Philip,

Support for the project has now been added.

Cheers,

Neil.
Ageless

Post by Ageless »

Neil wrote:I've also added Albert@Home
Please don't. They don't do stats. They'll be shutting down those stats this week as well. See http://albert.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=8835 for more information.
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

Ageless wrote:
Neil wrote:I've also added Albert@Home
Please don't. They don't do stats.
Please don't pollute another message board with the Albert stuff until they've decided what they want to do themselves :)

Al.
Ageless

Post by Ageless »

ChertseyAl wrote:Please don't pollute another message board with the Albert stuff until they've decided what they want to do themselves :)
They already know what they want. It's you who are confused what you want there. What did you not understand of: "Most of the time Albert@Home will have no work to run at all, and when it has, the applcations are experimental, might be unstable, unreliable and may even damage your computer. Validation might be unreliable and we may cancel workunits without prior notice. If you care about credit, this project is certainly not the right one for you." ?? Explain, so someone with a more basic understanding of English than you (apparently) can explain it to you. :-)
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

Ageless wrote: They already know what they want. It's you who are confused what you want there. What did you not understand of: "Most of the time Albert@Home will have no work to run at all, and when it has, the applcations are experimental, might be unstable, unreliable and may even damage your computer. Validation might be unreliable and we may cancel workunits without prior notice. If you care about credit, this project is certainly not the right one for you." ?? Explain, so someone with a more basic understanding of English than you (apparently) can explain it to you. :-)
I understood all of that perfectly well, you've read my posts there. You *have* actually read my posts there? I'm in full support of everything BM says, despite the mistakes/oversights/whatever made that lead up to this total non-crisis. There's no big deal about any of this really.

My point there was and still is, stats have already been exported. The genie is out of the bottle, and it's not going back in. BM is doing the right thing by continuing the export for a while then turning the tap off. There is nothing to be gained by harassing stats sites into removing stats that have already escaped into the wild. As I joked over there, DA would have to lean on stats sites to remove cached stats etc, and the whole thing could be a PR disaster.

To be totally clear, I think everyone over there understands that credit (which this is not about) may be zero. The project may damage your computer. It might make your freezer switch itself off and make you ice cream go all runny. Yes, we all got that. Many times. No point in keep repeating it in other message boards, which is what my point *here* is :)

Anyway, unless something has changed they don't seem to care that stats are in the wild. They just don't want people whining about credit (see above). The stats reporting is just a distraction. What they don't want is people 'flocking' (Copyright DA) to their project and clogging up their boards. Oh well, that didn't go so well ;)

Good luck to them, they'll carry on quite happily I've no doubt.

Al.
ChertseyAl
Established Member

New Project: Najmanovich Research Group (NRG)

Post by ChertseyAl »

Najmanovich Research Group

http://boinc.med.usherbrooke.ca/nrg/

About Najmanovich Research Group
Najmanovich Research Group - NRG is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in Molecular Recognition and Computational Biology. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.

NRG is based at Université de Sherbrooke

Been around for a while, but now exporting stats (at least one other stats site is publishing them).

Short WUs, but 1 day deadline, so might hijack your host.

Al.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi Al,

Thanks for the heads up.

Support has now been added.

Cheers,

Neil.
Ageless

Post by Ageless »

Temporarily in the air is the CERNVM/Vboxwrapper Test Project at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/vbox/

This is a rapid ALPHA project run by the BOINC developers and is geared towards finding and squelching as many bugs in the present BOINC + Virtual Box + VBox wrapper software as possible, on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. This project is to be burned when it has run its course, we're in it for the bug fixes rather than the credits. Credits export is not on, isn't going to be enabled either.

Think you want to give us a hand in helping out? You're more than welcome.
Requirements though:

-- BOINC 7.0 available from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php.
-- Virtual Box installed on your system from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads.

Be careful for the initial download. What though was 1.61GB is now 260MB (compressed). But still, if you think that's too much or too taxing for your bandwidth, then please don't try.
Post about any and all bugs you come across on the project's forums, or on the BOINC Alpha email list.
ChertseyAl
Established Member

Post by ChertseyAl »

La Red de Atrapa Sismos

http://www.ras.unam.mx/sensor/

Pretty much the same project as QCN, but a regional version. Has separate stats, maps, users etc and is exporting stats. Message boards are open, but pretty quiet :(

You can only use your QCN sensor on one project at a time, so this isn't a duplicate as such. There appear to be a number of other regional versions too, with a view to making the project more interesting/involving for different countries (none of the others are exporting stats AFAIK).

Worth adding? Probably. Not likely that these projects are going to attract the credit chasers due to the hardware requirement and max credit of 50 per day :)

Al.