Konfabulator widget released - version 0.91

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Marky-UK

Post by Marky-UK »

Now that there's an All-in-One graphic, could there be an option to display the Team data on the BOINC widget instead of the individual data?
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

I had also thought of this - I'll see what I can do to incorporate the team info into the existing widget.

Would users want to be able to display both sets of stats at the same time or choose one or the other?

Please feel free to post suggestions,

Neil.
Marky-UK

Post by Marky-UK »

Well, woke up this morning to find that the Widget Engine had an error message up about there being too many SQL connections open (an error from your server perhaps?). The next error was something about there being text in the response, and soon after that it got into an endless loop of errors about bad data. Had to terminate the Widget Engine in the end and restart it.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

I have released a new version (0.62) which will hopefully prevent this happening in the future.

Any problems, let me know.

Neil.
Marky-UK

Post by Marky-UK »

Thanks, I've upgraded and will keep an eye on it.

The only other problem I've encountered with the widget is sometimes I wake my laptop up from suspend, and the widget tries to update itself before the network's come up (wireless, so takes a few seconds to come up). This results in a 'could not connect' type message in the widget window in place of the scores.

What I haven't worked out yet is if the widget ever recovers from that on its own. I usually get bored after a couple of mins and close and restart the widget to get the scores back.

Will it actually retry on its own given enough time?
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

It will recover - but only after 8 hours, as this is the "interval time" for updating.

Other than restarting the widget, you can just open up the preferences and then click ok, which will cause the widget to update.

Neil.
Halifax--lad
Established Member

Post by Halifax--lad »

Neil wrote:Hi,

I had also thought of this - I'll see what I can do to incorporate the team info into the existing widget.

Would users want to be able to display both sets of stats at the same time or choose one or the other?

Please feel free to post suggestions,

Neil.
Back after a computer malfunction finally bought a new better one.

Anyway back to the suggestion,

I would prefer to have 2 widgets one for the team stat and one for the individual stat rather than having to change between one or the other.
Join us in Chat (see the forum) Click the Sig
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

It may be possible to incorporate the two into one widget. Unless you'd rather have two separate widgets??

Neil.
Halifax--lad
Established Member

Post by Halifax--lad »

I think I would prefer two widgets just so I have the choice of having them in different places on my screen. Unless that would be possible with just the one
Marky-UK

Post by Marky-UK »

I'd like to be able to see both stats - individual and team. But I don't mind if I have to do that by using two widgets (in some ways, that might even be preferable).
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Tis done!

See this thread for more info.

Neil.
Halifax--lad
Established Member

Post by Halifax--lad »

Thanks Neil

Now for a question about SETI Classic it shows on my sig here but not on my User User Widget, is there a reason it doesn't show up?
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi,

That would be because I forgot to update the widget to show Seti Classic stats. Ooops. ;-)

Neil.

"So much to do, so little time!"
Marky-UK

Post by Marky-UK »

Neil wrote:I have released a new version (0.62) which will hopefully prevent this happening in the future.

Around midnight (GMT) last night, my widgets hit a server problem, only this time they gave one error message and didn't get stuck in a loop, so it seems the problem I had is fixed. :)

Couple of comments though:

- The user widget replaced the stats with "MySQL error", while the team widget replaced the stats with "Unknow error". So there's a small typo there, but would it be better if both widgets had the same error message?

- While I think it's useful to let the user know there was an error, I'm wondering if there's a better way to convey that message. For example, instead of displaying an error dialog box, and replacing the stats with an error message, how about leaving the stats as they were but displaying part of them in a different colour to signify an error?
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Hi all,

Version 0.7 of the user widget and version 0.2 of the team widget have been released today.

Both widgets now have better error handling code so that your stats are still shown in the event of error messages being generated by the XML feed.

In addition, the user widget is now as wide as the team widget and also supports Seti Classic stats.

Neil.