Seti strike - your opinions

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Neil
Site Admin

Seti strike - your opinions

Post by Neil »

Hi all,

I occasionally take a look at the Seti message boards to see what's going on. Recently, there have been many posts about strikes regarding the treatment and handling of "Cruch3r"'s optimised clients.

So what do you think?

I'll field my two cents...

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all. Striking against Seti does nothing to help the cause. Granted, I don't know the full story, but at the end of the day, we are only donating our spare CPU cycles for a cause we choose to participate in.

We as volunteers do not receive any rewards for providing free computing resources other than the self satisfication that we may be doing some good for a greater cause.

Anyways, that's just my opinion, and I'll be continuing to crunch for the various projects in my sig ;-)
Neil Munday.

clarkf1
Established Member

Post by clarkf1 »

Personally I couldn't care less about credits (I use these stats to make sure the projects I crunch are working from a remote computer) and think the strike is pathetic.

I've stopped crunching for SETI@home (and all other projects) because I decided to actually try to finish a CPDN WU for the first time after many failed attempts, nothing to do with the strike.

It all seems to be about mis-communication anyway. From what I gather, Cruncher who developed optimised apps emailed the SETI@home developers and didn't get a response because for some reason he didn't pass their anti-SPAM filter correctly, so automatically people assume he was snubbed.

I think the SETI@home developers are open to working with him but now he refuses to have anything to do with SETI@home.

The major reason though is that he was accused of cheating by using an old optimised apps which inflated his credit claim (although in some cases I saw it was only by about 10 credits).

If you look at the stats for active users, it's dropped dramatically since they released the Enhanced app. This is bad news for SETI@home.

Once this CPDN WU is done, I'll definitely be going back to SETI@home (if it's still around)
Cruncher: i7-8700K (6 cores, 12 threads), 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz, 8GB NVIDIA 1080
Halifax--lad
Established Member

Post by Halifax--lad »

I also couldn't care less on the strike, think of it this way less strain on the server with less people crunching so any downtime recovers much quickly now
Join us in Chat (see the forum) Click the Sig