Duchamp / Sourcefinder is to be shut down along with POGS

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Dr Who Fan

Duchamp / Sourcefinder is to be shut down along with POGS

Post by Dr Who Fan »

Another one bites the dust :(

Duchamp / Sourcefinder is to be shut down along with POGS.
Hi Everyone,

So some bad news today. Kevin was recently talking with a few of the higher ups at ICRAR, and it's been decided that Sourcefinder is to be shut down along with POGS.

I've also received word that the the scientists no longer need the data that's been crunched by Sourcefinder. I find extremely unfortunate considering the amount of time and effort that both all of you and myself have put into this project over the last few years, but that's just the way it is.
It would've been nice to have been notified about this sooner, but sometimes that doesn't happen.

We'll still keep a store of everything that's been computed by Sourcefinder, because we may be able to find a use for it in the future.

I should also mention that within ICRAR there's a pretty heavy shift away from distributed computing methods such as BOINC, toward simply utilising the increasing processing power of supercomputers. With this in mind, it's fairly unlikely that ICRAR will be looking to start up any new distributed computing projects in the near future.

Regardless, a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to Sourcefinder. I appreciate everything you've done to help out on this project, especially considering how rocky a lot of it has been. I'm just sorry that we now don't have an immediate use for all of the data you've processed.

As with the POGS shutdown thread, I'll try to answer any questions anyone has.

Sam
Neil
Site Admin

Re: Duchamp / Sourcefinder is to be shut down along with POGS

Post by Neil »

Thanks for the heads up. Let's hope they can make use of the results in the future.