Test4Theory (T4T) Is Now VirtualLHC@home, vLHC

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Ex_Brit

Test4Theory (T4T) Is Now VirtualLHC@home, vLHC

Post by Ex_Brit »

On Monday July 14, the Test4theory project will be migrated to a new server, and also get a new name: "vLHC@home".

Following 3 years of running Theory simulations under CernVM and BOINC, we plan to gradually expand the project and add more applications on CernVM with simulations from the LHC experiments. Thus the new name: "Virtual LHC@home".

The old server URL will be redirected, and we expect that the transition should be transparent to BOINC clients. The forums and BOINC user database with accumulated credit will remain the same as today. There is a slight risk that running tasks may fail and that the credit for these will be lost. We would in that case recommend to detach and re-attach to the project. Further advice will be given here in the News forum once the upgrade is completed.

Article link: http://lhcathome2.cern.ch/vLHCathome/fo ... 6854#16854 Or the main page: http://lhcathome2.cern.ch/vLHCathome/index.php

The changeover is transparent in BOINC, however if any problem try detaching and reattaching manually and make sure it is to the new URL http://lhcathome2.cern.ch/vLHCathome/ as the BOINC client still shows the old one in the project list.

Neil, may I suggest changing the designator here from T4T to vLHC?
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Neil
Site Admin

Re: Test4Theory (T4T) Is Now VirtualLHC@home, vLHC

Post by Neil »

Thanks for the heads up, I've updated the site.

Cheers,

Neil.
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

So I see, thanks Neil.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Sorry it took a while, it's been way too hot I've not been able to face another computer screen after a day's work staring at a computer screen ;-)
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

I understand. My friends in Devon have been complaining about the heat although to me they would be normal. Of course I miss that part of the world a lot & wish I was back there, but am certainly enjoying my air conditioning here in Canada. Believe me, we need it here especially in July and August.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

Neil it just occurred to me. What do you think about renaming Sixtrack back to its original LHC? The reason I ask is that I was reading some of the intro pages to LHC@Home and they mention that Sixtrack, which you now have it labelled as, is just one of their first experiements. There will be others eventually.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

If LHC are planning other experiments, shouldn't SixTrack stay as it is?
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

Maybe I should ask them first, I'll let you know what they say.
You have a point as after all ATLAS is a new CERN experiment and has its own website as does vLHC.
Peter
Toronto, Canada
Ex_Brit

Post by Ex_Brit »

Well they've ignored the question so you should ignore my suggestion too, LOL
Peter
Toronto, Canada