January bandwidth warning -> cause of usage found??

This forum provides an FAQ for users as well as allowing you to ask questions about MundayWeb's very popular BOINC stats services.
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

Thanks for the kind comments.

No wife at the mo thankfully! I'm only in my early 20's!!

For those who are interested, my host does use a data center to store all my data etc. However, only system stuff is backed-up, so I'm responsible for backing up my databases etc.

The support from my host has been excellent, and is one of very few hosting companies that provide cPanel with all the nuts and bolts as well as letting me have remote ssh access.

Cheers,

Neil.
Lee Carre

Post by Lee Carre »

Neil wrote:Thanks for the kind comments.

No wife at the mo thankfully! I'm only in my early 20's!!
you're welcome, and being a young'n enjoy yourself for at least another decade ;)

regarding your webhost, does cPanel allow you to edit the server configuration for your particualar site, that is: create new MIME-filetype associations, set/change caching headers etc. edit DNS entries etc.

and would i be right in assuming your webhost is, ooh, the whois info has changed lol
well if you're not prepared to release that kind of info on your forums then send me an email to my registered email address for these forums
Want to search the BOINC Wiki, BOINCstats, or various BOINC forums from within firefox? Try the BOINC related Firefox Search Plugins
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

cPanel is commercial web host configuration package that is used by loads of webhosts to allow their users to configure and administer their accounts. For example, e-mail accounts, e-mail forwarding, subdomains, parking domains, add-on domains, reseller accounts, MySQL admin, FTP accounts, stats logs, error logs, back-ups, and loads more that I can't remember!

My webhost has their own web based interface to allow me to administer my TLDs so I can configure name servers etc.

I don't think I have the power to change MIME-Type associations etc.

On the whois front, I paid extra to have my details removed from the database and replaced by some privacy company. I was quite surprised one day when I did a whois on my domain and found my name and home address for all to see!

I will e-mail you the details of my hosting company. If you do sign-up with them, please feel free to mention my name as a referrer ;-)

Neil.
Lee Carre

Post by Lee Carre »

Neil wrote:I will e-mail you the details of my hosting company. If you do sign-up with them, please feel free to mention my name as a referrer ;-)
thanks Neil, that info was very helpful, i'm not actually looking for myself, i know someone who's looking for a good webhost, i do everything the manual way, hosting it all from home (just a small personal site)

but yes, i'll defenetly mention all of this to him, this seems to be exactly what he was after, and i'll make sure he mentions you, i'm assuming you'll get a month free for being a referrer lol it's all good :)
Want to search the BOINC Wiki, BOINCstats, or various BOINC forums from within firefox? Try the BOINC related Firefox Search Plugins
Neil
Site Admin

Post by Neil »

I have to admit that I've never got anything free from the referrals I've done, but you never know, another one might do the job! ;-)

Neil.